Sunday, July 26, 2009

The view from my front door

Story and photos by Bruce Thorson

July 24, 2009, Calamus Reservoir, Neb: I've always loved camping. Most of my life I have tent camped. So, having a travel trailer to live in is almost like having a motel room. It is very convenient to live this way. Not all of the places we've camped on this project have been the most stellar for views, but some have. Over the last couple of days I was at Calamus Reservoir. There's some great scenery here. I enjoy sitting, sitting and looking and taking in the day. I find it interesting that other people go to great expense and travel to get to a place like the Calamus. There's great stuff to look at here. And what do some of these folks do? They set up their Dish TV. I'm comfortable in the trailer but I wouldn't want to spend time in it watching television. With the exception of the times being in a restaurant or bar that has a television, I've not watched it since June 3 when I left Lincoln.

This is a great project!


July 20, 2009, Spade Ranch, Neb: Sometimes I don't have to go far to find an interesting image. Here's one that was literally right out the camper door. While camping at the Spade Ranch, I was right next to the chicken coop. Those birds really help keep the yard free of bugs. They even cleaned my car's bumper. It was covered with dead bugs and they went around in front and behind it to peck away at the bugs smashed there. There was even a live grasshopper on the bumper. As soon as it jumped down on the ground, it was a goner. A chicken was all over it, picked it up in its beak and down to the stomach in a matter of seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment