Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Here's your sign

Story and photos by Bruce Thorson

July 27, 2009, Bassett, Neb: When I first drove into Bassett, I couldn't help but notice the zebra house. The next day I went and knocked on the door. Kindra James is the owner of Here's Your Sign, and that's what it is, a sign business. She makes vinyl decals, business cards and offers embroidery. Most of her business is with truckers. They are required to have specific transportation and vin numbers on the door of their trucks. "The state has been cracking down on truckers in this area. So, my business is good right now," she said.
I asked her where the affinity came for zebras. "I don't know for sure but I've always loved horses," she said.

Driving further down the Bassett main street, I couldn't resist this shot. There are two vehicles I wouldn't mind restoring. They are 1957 Chevrolets. My first car was one, a two-door convertible, three on the "tree" with overdrive and spinner hubcaps. I rebuilt the motor in it, my first-ever rebuild. It ran great and I successfully rebuilt another seven or eight motors, on various cars I owned. They all ran great, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment