Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Update from the road: Dorchester

Story and photo by Bruce Thorson


June 15, 2009, Dorchester, Neb: Deb Spanyers, 49, remembers "...when the mosquito bit me. I was at the county fair with my two daughters," she said. Spanyers, Saline county treasurer, was infected with the West Nile virus from that bite.


"I remember shortly after that feeling flu-like symptoms." Then, she said, "A rash appeared and I thought I better go to the doctor." That was on a Friday, August 2006. The doctor told her it was probably just the flu and she should be feeling better by Monday.


By Sunday, however, she couldn't walk or get out of bed. "My mom and husband loaded me into the car drove me to the hospital in Crete. In retrospect, that was probably a mistake. We should have headed straight for Lincoln."

The doctors in Crete were unsure what was wrong. "The next day my mom said we're going to Lincoln. After Crete, I was out of it and don't remember much of anything. The Lincoln doctors, at first, went back and forth as to whether or not it was the West Nile virus," she said.


Weakened by the West Nile, another disorder joined in. Guillain Barré syndrome is very rare, uses the body's immune system to attack the nervous system. As a result of both disorders together, Spanyers is in a wheelchair.

She can perform some tasks walking, using the aid of a walker, but "I feel safest getting around in the wheelchair," she said. She's not real stable walking. She also uses a motorized chair scooter, too. Her car is outfitted with a wheelchair car-top carrier. Using a riding lawnmower, she mows her own lawn and attaches the walker to the mower "just in case the mower breaks down and I can use it to get away," she said.


In this economic downturn, Spanyers isn't worried about her job. "I'm an elected official. I have a guaranteed position for four years."


Spanyers, despite a divorce, health and life-style changes brought on by the disorders, is optimistic, has a strong sense of humor and a spirit that has a "can do" outlook. She won't let her disability keep from doing what she wants to do.


Story and photo by Bruce Thorson


June 15, 2009, Dorchester, Neb: Taylor Miller, 6, lives in Crete, was on the Dorchester sidewalk trying to learn how to use the hula hoop her father, Kelly Miller, purchased the day before.


At times, the toy hoop wound around her neck, at times around her waist and at times around her ankles.


A short time later, Taylor said, "It's hot and I'm tired," and went inside Dorchester's latest business venture, Ben's Bar and Grill. Her father was working inside.


Kelly is a certified chef and restaurant developer. "Ben Haufle is the owner and a friend of mine and I've been helping him get this started," he said.


In dealing with today's economic times, Kelly said, "If you work hard at something, you will get something out of it, regardless of the economy." Kelly believes that starting a restaurant in a small town like Dorchester will work. "I believe that using traditional methods, using quality, integrity and consistency, targeting the middle working class, keeping prices low, the restaurant will be successful."


Story and photo by Bruce Thorson


June 15, 2009, Dorchester, Neb: Milligan's 14 and under softball team enjoyed a victory celebration at Joe's Place, one of two Dorchester bars, after defeating Dorchester 12-7. When a sudden thunder and lightning storm struck the area, the team members poured themselves outside to dance in the rain's downpour. (Photo by Bruce Thorson)


Story and photo by Bruce Thorson


June 15, 2009, Dorchester, Neb: Milligan's 14-and-under softball team enjoyed a victory celebration at Joe's Place, one of two Dorchester bars, after defeating Dorchester 12-7. Brianna Hafer (right), 11, of Geneva, Neb., said, "I haven't noticed any effects from the recession. My parents would probably know, though." (Photo by Bruce Thorson)

No comments:

Post a Comment